The goal of this topic is to setup and improve OpenCSW project communication and its visibility from the outside.
This topic will cover a range of actions including :
- improve the web site (design and content),
- write articles and slides for the presentation of the project and tools,
- produce all the material we will need to make presentation (in meeting like FOSDEM),
- improve Google rank,
- establish a communication with Sun and maybe other corporates,
- establish links and relation with other open source projects etc.
At the end of this topics, the following deliverables should be available to community. This list identifies the main expected deliverables. It will be updated during opening phase.
- New web site ready to be set online
- Set of media used for presentation of the project / association (mainly slides)
- Project Road map for year 2009
- Main community process drafts available (through the web site)
- Main technical process drafts available (through the web site)
- Set of articles ready to be published on various web sites (osnews, /., etc.)
The proposed time schedule is the following :
- 09/02/02 to 09/02/09 : Opening phase
- Overall objective discussion
- Discussions about sub projects (requirements, objective, tasks, etc.)
- Finally, task identification and allocation
- 09/02/09 to 09/02/22
- subproject technical discussion and realization
- 09/02/23 to 09/02/28 : Closing phase
- sub projects finalization, review and publishing
Web site subproject
Redesign the website using a blog engine (wordpress is proposed). The mockup of the new website (it will be used and it will gradually change during this topic) is available at http://www-mockup.opencsw.org
- Review the page architecture and list (from the toplevel menu)
- Review the pages content
- Write a quickstart guide
- Write some articles
- Setup the LDAP backend
- Local directory is ready for tests
- SSH key has to be added to LDAP and tested
- Integrate Dokuwiki and Wordpress
- Dokuwiki will be used to automatically generate package information page
- Choose a project logo
- Choose a totem animal ? a "mascot" for the project ?
- Setup RSS feeds with package update and integrate them to WP
- Setup RSS feeds with security alerts and integrate them to WP
- Security alerts have to be discussed
Communication materials subproject
The objective of this subproject is to identify and create the set of media needed for presentation of the project / association. It will be mainly set of slides.
TODO : Identify the list
Project Road map for year 2009 subproject
The objective of this subproject is to propose an overall project road map for the year 2009. The work can start from the different ideas proposed for monthly thematics. This topic should identify the projects needs for technical and process improvement that should be addressed during the year. This ca be seen as build "a global todo list" for 2009.
The items are not only the themes of the year. They can include some background tasks, or some small tasks. Like setting up a given tool, etc. The roadmap should consider the possibility to take part to event like FOSDEM, RMLL (Free Software World Meeting (French event), etc.). Of course the general meeting and summer camp must appear in the Roadmap.
Community process drafts subproject
The objective of this subproject is to identify all of the community process existing in the association and to propose a draft of the process. It will includes process as various as :
- Membership appliance
- Bug management (who is doing what, etc.)
- Release package to testing or unstable
- Stable release making
- Buildfarm access
TODO : complete the list
Technical process drafts subproject
The objective of this subproject is to identify all of the technical process existing in the association and to propose a draft of the process. It will includes process as various as :
- Technical standard
- Packaging rules
- GAR use
TODO : complete the list
Write some articles to provide a presentation of the association, its goal, process, creation, etc.
Write some technical articles about the tools and process we are using
The objective is to publish these articles on various web site. The initial number of articles does not have to be high (from 2 to 5 at maximum). Article releases should happen on a regular basis. It means the communication should not be done only through publishing on our web site, but also by publishing on other website when possible. A number of 6 to 12 articles per year should be targeted (that is from 0.5 to 1 article per month for all the member, which sounds reasonable).
Google rank subproject
Identify what should be done ASAP for improving short term referencing, and what are the background action to setup to maintain and improve search engines referencing.
Establish a communication with Sun and maybe other corporates
Create links with Sun.
Establish links and relation with other open source projects
Create links with some of the communities associated to the software we package and distribute. This will help being know, and even to get help and support to port some software.
The list of communities should be few at the beginning. A long term effort to maintain the relationship should be provided. The number of related communities should be increased on a slow but regular basis.
List of communities :
Make sure the upstream projects link to our package pages
Enhance OpenCSW visibility on the net by spreading links to OpenCSW on upstream sites for binary packages.